on 12 February 2013
I love Luther. Buying this box set resulted in a week of evenings in bed, glued to the television, knowing I needed to go to bed but determined to squeeze in 'just one more episode.'

Idris Elba delivers a phenomenal performance as the dark but moral D.C.I Luther. Put simply, the character is fascinating. He delivers justice, but resorts to dark means to get it when necessary. Most TV detectives are portrayed as perceptive geniuses who can do no wrong, but whilst Luther is certainly perceptive, every episode goes further to demonstrate how flawed and complex he really is. Watching Luther provokes interesting questions about our own attitudes to justice- we gasp when he goes to the lengths he does, but don't we inwardly cheer for him, too, even though he is breaking the law in order to defend it? Add into the mix his failed marriage with wife Zoe, who is desperately trying to move on despite Luther's pleas to the contrary, and you will notice a stark difference between Luther's excellent detective work and his messy personal life. It seems his perceptiveness doesn't apply to people that he loves!

Undoubtedly the most fascinating element of Luther is his relationship with serial killer Alice, who is brilliantly portrayed by Ruth Wilson. Luther is equally fascinated and disgusted by her, and their interactions are some of the best TV I've seen in the last few years. The way they bounce off one another is just... I can't describe it. It gives me chills.

Some episodes are better than others, but I haven't yet seen one that didn't satisfy. I cannot wait for series 3!
9 people found this helpful