on 16 December 2010
I bought the drive to run as a media drive as I take a lot of photographs and wanted a network location to store them on rather than clogging up my machines hard disk with them. The main point for me was the auto functionality which puts the drive in to sleep mode when nothings connected to it or it's not being used. I was hoping that this would then allow me to mount the drive, connect it on start up and I could seamlessly access photographs and music.

In reality though the auto mode is pretty poor in my opinion, the drive won't respond if in sleep mode by trying to connect from finder (Mac), you have to use the software that comes with the drive in order to wake it up but even that doesn't really work well from what I've experienced so far. If the software that came with it worked well then I could have lived with that, I tried adding in the software as a start up program so that it would wake the drive when the machine is booted up however, after the machine had started up and the program had launched and even after several refreshes, closing and re-opening the the program it still wouldn't wake up. After roughly 5 or so minutes it showed a hint that it was about to come to life but still couldn't connect from the machine or see it in the software provided.

In the end I'm just going to have to live with switching it on and off manually.

In conclusion, for what I was wanting, buying a 1TB internal drive and sticking it in another computer on my home network would have done exactly the same as this and would have been a lot cheaper but granted it would have taken up more room. So if you just want a hard drive on your network and aren't too fussed then you could do a lot worse.
What's this?