on 10 November 2011
This is a great product, I own 3x JBL On Stage IIIP's and the speaker audio quality in the JBL On Air Wireless is superb and much better.

The speaker dock is great but if you are buying this as an AirPlay speaker (and you probably are as it's several hundred pounds), be aware that it doesn't work with with the iPhone 4S. With an iPhone 4 it plays audio nicely on AirPlay but if I try to do the same from an iPhone 4S using AirPlay to the JBL On Air Wireless then it plays a maximum of 2 seconds of audio and then stops and you need to pull the mains plug to get AirPlay to work on the speaker again. Both iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S are running the latest iOS 5 base public release. Likewise the iPhone 4S streams audio using AirPlay flawlessly to Apple TV 2 without any problems.

This looks to be a fault in the firmware of the JBL On Air Wireless speaker. There is currently no new firmware update, the firmware on the speaker is 1.0.1.52-EMEA.

I was hoping to use this with my new iPhone 4S and not the iPhone 4 but it looks like I won't be able to do that now. I'm considering on returning the product or waiting it out in the hope JBL can fix it in a firmware update. I have contacted JBL and am awaiting a response.

6 MONTHS ON UPDATED REVIEW
So I've had the OnAir for 6 months, Apple came out with numerous OS updates which has fixed the main problem I had, although I never had a problem previously with Airplaying to Apple TV2. So the speaker works really well. However, I do experience frequent music stops/WiFi dropouts most likely due to the number of WiFi devices I have in the house all splattering the spectrum. Taking it to other houses where WiFi activity is low I get no drop outs on music playing whatsoever.

Still I like the speaker but sometimes can get a bit frustrating when music does drop out, but you just hit the play button on the iPhone, then tell it to AirPlay through the JBL speaker and invariably it will start again.
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?