I owned the former model, and after 12 months it began to leak from the bottom. I was reluctant to purchase another Dolce Gusto machine, but I read that Necafé had fixed the problem on the new version. Given that the coffee these machines produces has always impressed me, I decided to give it a go. I'm very glad that I did...
1. Coffee - The coffee from this machine is fabulous. It tastes just as good as a takeaway coffee and is considerably cheaper, too. My favourite is Caffé Lungo, which is readily available at supermarkets.
2. Build quality - The new model is a significant improvement. The whole thing feels more robust. I have not had any problems with the capsules getting stuck in the drawer, as one other reviewer mentioned.
3. Design - This is a great looking machine, and people always comment on it. However, the re-vamped design also means it takes up less space than the former model. The power button is also in a much better place!
4. Ease of use - Very easy to use and maintain. I recommend proper cleaning once a month using some de-scaling powder (read the manual) to keep it at its best.
5. Temperature - This is perhaps a little controversial. The Dolce Gusto does not produce steaming hot coffee. As at least one other reviewer stated, the coffee is perfect drinking temperature. To be more accurate, it is approximately 65C (after adding 50ml of cold milk).
1. Anything that isn't coffee - In my opinion, the hot chocolate and other milk-based drinks are not particularly good. If you want a machine that makes good hot chocolate or latté, I suggest you look elsewhere.
2. Cost of pods - These can be quite expensive. However, you do get a whole pack of pods for approximately the same price as two takeaway coffees.
3. Instructions - The instructions are not particularly good. Written instructions to accompany the illustrations would have been appreciated.
Overall, this is a great coffee machine. I would strongly recommend it to people who simply can't start the day without a good cup of coffee, and who also need their coffee in a hurry!