on 23 October 2012
I have been following Yes Sir Boss for the last 12 to 18 months after stumbling across them playing a small gig in Leeds. I have been fortunate enough to catch them 3 times now, picking up a couple of sample CD/EPs along the way. I was instantly hooked by their charisma and energising music and now my children (8, 5 & 3) dance to their songs around my house.

I struggle to describe them to my friends with the right words to do them justice - flowing talent, well crafted songs put together in a sort of Mexican/Ska/Soul/Funk/Rock sort of way. Even that doesn't sound right - they can't be pigeon-holed or compared to anything else I have heard. It's essentially guitar based music (over an often stomping/foot tapping beat) with a strong infusion of horns, coated with very strong and distinctive vocals. Plenty of hooks to keep you humming the songs long after they have finished.

This album has been long anticipated by me and I was pleasantly surprised to find that there are songs on there that I haven't heard them play at gigs. I was sort of expecting a studio version of the live show but it goes a lot deeper than that. I've only given it one spin so far but I am mightily impressed.

These guys are extremely hard working and I hope they get some recognition and payback for their efforts - this is talent that I want to see on stage again and again, and of course I want more albums down the line! They seem to be on a never-ending tour of the UK so try and catch them at a local venue soon and check them out for yourselves (but be prepared - unless you stand right at the back you will be caught up in the enthusiastic crowd - you get pulled in by the energy produced by these guys when they are in full swing!)

Marvellous stuff.