VINE VOICEon 27 December 2012
I'll start by saying that Yngwie is one of my favourite guitarists. When I first heard him back in the 80's I couldn't comprehend what he was doing, but I loved it. And I bought everything he recorded.

However, over the years things have turned sour.
Yngwie seems to have forgotten how to write a proper song. Choruses have disappeared to be replaced by a repeated single line, melodies are re-hashes of past tunes, gone are the hooks (remember I See the Light, Rising Force, even Heaven Tonight?), and instead we have metal.
But not that good metal.
The revolving door for vocalists has continued.
And the insistence of doing everything himself doesn't help either.
At least in the past he's use an external producer, mixer, maybe get the vocalist to help with lyrics or melodies.
But not for some years now.
And it shows.
The last album I'd say had a decent collection of songs was Face the Animal, apart from the occasional moment (Bogeyman on UtF).
And now Yngwie's decided to ditch the whole band and do everything himself, even sing.
So the drums sound artificial - which they are.
The production is poor. The mixing ain't great either. And the vocals...Yngwie's a reasonable singer (his backing vocals live are perfectly decent), but lead vocalist he isn't. He doesn't have the power or the range for the type of stuff he writes normally.
At least there are only 3 vocal songs here, but the vocals are buried, over-produced (and the layering of harmonies is very poorly done) and he needs serious guidance with his phrasing.
Elsewhere we have a collection of neoclassical instrumentals (with a few nylon string moments) that are OK in isolation, but not as a full album.
I assume there was a financial reason for coming up with an album like this. It'll probably do OK, especially in the Far East, where he has a decent fan-base, but it certainly won't gain him any new fans, and there's no way Yngwie can perform his older material without a proper vocalist live.
I've listened to the whole album, and this'll be the 3rd one in succession I won't be investing in.
I'd still see him in concert, but he badly needs guidance before he disappears completely up his own derriere.

Sorry...
22 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?