on 9 November 2007
I got this game mainly due to the fact I like RPGs and there are little available for the 360. Part of my gripe with Fable is largely due to the emmulation of the 360 console as opposed to the game itself however, Fable still has some irritating aspects which I'll cover first.

On the subject of the actual emmulation, the game requires at least 2 or 3 updates to be installed every time I put the game on which is a bit annoying although undertstandable. However, the emmulation at time causes my game to freeze which takes me onto my next point regarding the game.

The save procedure can be infuriating. While for the most part you can complete a "world" save which stores everything you've done you can't do this mid quest. All you can complete is a "hero" save which stores you're experience but not how far you are in the quest. Bearing in mind some quests are very long winded, and during this you do a lot of battling. What really annoyed me was getting half way through one, then going into a different area of Albion only to find my game freezes on the load page leaving me to restart the console. That also meant that I was back to square 1 with the quests.

Lastly on the annoying aspects of this game was the menu set up. Although you can shortcut for quicker access when surrounded by up to 10 undead, fiddling with a trigger button then scrolling through little icons trying to guess which spell was the one you were looking for is time consuming and means you're taking hits all that time. Also, the D-pad shortcut menu also take a bit of getting used to. I allocate expressions to buttons only to find they don't save on the d-pad. Also, when I try to select an apple for health instead of automatically eating apple, the larger item menu appears when it's not short cut to the d-pad button I allocated it to.

Quite a few bad points however, the rest of the game more than makes up for these irritating aspects. I would get annoyed and switch the game off in a huff only to find 10 minutes later I had it back on again as I could't put it down.

You play a young man known as 'hero'. Basically you're trained by the Heros Guild to go out into Albion and complete quests although the way you complete the quests, your choice of clothes, tattoos, haircuts and general actions shape your personality, looks and how the residents of Albion view you.

Your ultimate goal is to rescue your mother (whom you believed dead) from the evil Jack of Blades. By completing the quests, you accumulate experience and upgrade your health, physique and Will (magic) to be able to take on Jack.

The diffculty of the quests rage from ridiculously easy to rather challenging. I'm not a massively seasoned gamer, but I did find the game an easy one overall.

The land of Albion itself is large (and frequently beautiful) so thankfully you have the option to teleport about the place. Be warned however as it was during the teleport load screen that my game crashes frequently.

This game has some nice quirks. I'd single out the upgrade system as my favourite. Hero can perfom some great spells (berserk being a favourite) although you'll go from requiring only a few thousand experience for an upgrade to requiring 20,000 which is a bit of a shock to the system. Fortunately you're bombarded with more difficult enemies and you'll gather this XP in no time.

In short, although Fable doesn't have anything massively revolutionary in it, it's got something else in terms of how enjoyable it is to play. It's also curiously satisfying to complete each quest and upgrade.

Give it a go. Just be prepared to want to tear your hair out at times but for the most part, you'll have a daft wee smile on your face as you sit in your Mayor's Mansion and woo the ladies (personality permitting), or when you play the dashing hero, saving villagers and accepting nothing in return.
What's this?