on 19 June 2014
Having listened to this 'Ghosts Of Download' almost every day for the last 3 weeks I felt I had to post a review to say how good it is. I didn't think the reformed Blondie would ever be able to produce an album with as much appeal as those early ones, but their more recent albums have been getting better and better - and in my opinion this is not only the best one since they reformed - but their best album ever!

Like 'Panic Of Girls' it starts off strong with a string of instantly enjoyable pop songs, but then it actually goes up a notch with the superb 'Winter' - a powerful and haunting song that will play back over and over in your head long after you've finished listening to it! But this album doesn't dry up; it keeps mixing up the styles churning out one great song after another.

Apart from 'Winter' I particularly like 'Euphoria' and 'Backroom'. Both have similar Latin overtones and are very catchy. As is the bonus track 'Put Some Colour On You' - which has such a funky rhythm you could easily mistake it for a Pharrell Williams hit. I would have liked a few more powerful 'Golden Rod' style tracks and something drummy for Clem to let really rip on, but there's enough here to please just about everyone.

Weakest track for me is probably 'Relax'. Being a fan of the original I was expecting to really like this but for some reason the arrangement just doesn't do it for me. That's not to say it's bad by any means, just not great. To put it into context, I'd give it (bearing in mind I'm referring to the *weakest* track here) 7 out of 10 compared with the rest of the album - so that shows just how strong this collection is! Shame about the use of the F-word at the start of 'I Screwed Up'. As soon as you start putting profanity into what should be a "pop" album you instantly lose your universal appeal.

But there are so many great tracks on here that it quite deservedly gets a full 5 stars from me. I don't know if Blondie are planning to release another album but if they do I hope it continues in the same vein as this one.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink