2.0 out of 5 stars Quickly died a death, 21 Aug. 2009
I've spent years consciously ignoring the explosion in technology. I ooh and aaah at it from afar (and in private) but I clung on to my CD player for dear life. The reasons are three-fold. Firstly, am inherently suspicious of the build quality of modern technology. This bizarre fascination with things being smallersmallersmaller (am I the only person with no desire to feel like Gulliver?), leading me to believe that perhaps size is more important than longevity. Secondly, once you get caught up in needing to keep up, you find yourself hocking your organs in order to be able to pay for the latest shiny thing. (My left kidney has been twitching ever since I bought a wii.) Finally, I should have been born in the 1920s and believe all things technology are from the devil.

And so it is with this MP3 player. I finally plumped for a cheap one a month ago... ease myself in, you know. Decide whether it was this or my boom-box, yo. Ah, I admit it, I got caught up in buying MP3 songs from Amazon. I was drunk on the power! And for a month it was wonderful. Download, drag and drop, drink in the deliciousness of the songs you love.

But a week ago, I started noticing it wasn't holding its charge too well. You charge it by hooking it up to your computer via the USB port, and they provide the little cord thingy. I was initially getting about 3 hours of play and yet, without my using it much, it was suddenly down to around half an hour. Well, this morning, fully charged, I clipped it to me trous, took it with me to go food shopping (if you *must* rummage through root vegetables, do it while Irene Cara hollers about What a Feeling it is) and it died within 5 minutes. It had nothing whatsoever. Having repeated the exercise when I got back, it once again died within 5 minutes. So within the space of a month, with limited use, it's now useless. My suspicions were well-founded.

It seems the other reviewers haven't had the same problem, so there may be something afoot. I'm wondering if perhaps it isn't a sign... or perhaps I just got unlucky. In any event, please allow me to shake my fist and return to my well-lit hole in the ground. Oil-lamp. Much better than yer evil *bulbs*.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Aug 2009 22:50:49 BDT
Big Bertha says:
Hi Anna
Think you might of been unlucky and got a duff one! Hopefully it's under warranty and you'll be able to get it replaced without losing one of your kidneys!

Posted on 25 Aug 2009 21:26:39 BDT
Diziet says:
Hello Anna -

Get it replaced and download the new Imogen Heap album :-)

Posted on 27 Aug 2009 17:28:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Aug 2009 17:29:34 BDT
BCB & More says:
Anna, Great review :) Really made me laugh, but don't give up on the ipods they are great. Try a Nano, it's easier with a screen. I'm like you and get all twitchy but with TV/Surround sound and all that jargon (basically the stuff my husband always wants the latest of!).

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2009 19:28:51 BDT
Usually if you have the receipt you can get it changed at the Apple Store, saves you messing around with the post.

Posted on 3 Sep 2009 23:18:21 BDT
Atticman says:
iPods suck. I went thru SEVEN of the old types before I bit the bullet and decided to pursue the path of Zen (Creative Zen). However, the lure of the shiny things proved too strong so I hawked my duodenum and my principles and bought an iPhone. Battery lasts about two days with moderate use, but that's an awful lot less than a Nokia! Poor Anna, sounds like you had a particularly bad experience - not all of the 21st century is as disappointing!

Posted on 1 Dec 2009 07:44:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 May 2010 15:37:37 BDT
Your review is a delight to read, but as someone who only dived into the world of downloads this past April and still loves CDs I have to say Don't Give Up! I'm trying to find the ideal MP3 player. I've got a terrific little Philips and can enjoy great sound wherever I am. There's a machine with our name on somewhere out there! Keep on grooving and don't give up.

Posted on 10 Apr 2010 20:11:13 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 10 Apr 2010 20:12:17 BDT]

Posted on 10 Oct 2011 12:15:52 BDT
A Asghar says:
thank you for such a poetic, colourful reviw. You should be a writer - that was witty, yet displayed the kind of empathy most people feel, about modern technology!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2013 18:47:01 BDT
Two years later!! so agree with you, feeling a bit down, read this, and laughed!! bless her!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›