As a fan of Poirot and Miss Marple I have recently begun to explore Agatha Christie's other works, such as her horror stories. I hadn't come across Mr Quin before, and it piqued my curiosity. I wasn't disappointed - in fact, quite the opposite. These stories are detective fiction laced with the supernatural, superbly written. The leading players, Mr Satterthwaite and Mr Quin, are creations to equal her more famous detectives, and I'm surprised they have been largely forgotten.

The audiobook set is read by Hugh Fraser, well known as Captain Hastings in the television Poirot. I have some of his readings of Poirot stories, but for me this set is where he really came into his own as a performer. There is no trace of Hastings in his gentle, elderly Satterthwaite, or his quiet and slightly sinister Quin. All the other characters are voiced with care and humour (his bossy duchess in The World's End conjures up Margaret Rutherford or Edith Evans, and had me chuckling whenever she 'appeared'). I was genuinely sorry when I reached the end of disc seven, and I have no doubt I'll be listening to these again and again.

The audiobook set contains seven discs in a sturdy box. The discs are stacked cakebox style, which I find annoying. But the cover design is rather nice, very apt for the period and totally in keeping with the harlequin theme. The stories in the set are The Coming of Mr Quin, The Shadow on the Glass, At the Bells and Motley, The Sign in the Sky, The Soul of the Croupier, The Man From the Sea, The Voice in the Dark, The Face of Helen, The Dead Harlequin, The Bird with the Broken Wings, The World's End and Harlequin's Lane. Longer stories have been split across discs, but the separation points have been well chosen and seven stories have not been split at all. Overall, I rate this as an excellent product.
44 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.