1.0 out of 5 stars It should be called a car activity monitor, 13 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Fitbit Ultra Wireless Activity Plus Sleep Tracker (Sports)
I bought the fitbit as a part of my campaign to get slimmer and fitter this year. Specifically I wanted to automatically monitor my activity levels and have the Fitbit update my account on My Fitness Pal. Having read up on the device in detail and seen the 2 5 star reviews I decided to purchase the item.

So how did it do?

Well setup is easy as I would expect with any modern piece of technology and after setting up a fitbit account and linking it to My Fitness Pal all looked well. It measured the number of steps I was taking (reasonably accurately but not within the 95-97% tolerance the manufacturer suggested more like 90% accurate and reading on the high side) and it worked out when I was going up stairs as well. At this point I'm fairly happy with the product and may have given it 3 stars (based on the step inaccuracy).

Then I drove to work, a 15 mile journey on a mixture of dual carriageways and country roads! After I arrived at work and looked at the fitbit display it told me I had just done an additional 800 steps burning calories (cant remember the figure) and I had climbed 10 flights of stairs... Now I'm less than impressed as it then automatically uploads this to My Fitness Pal which then allows me more food calories based on exercise I haven't actually done..

I have logged a ticket with fitbits customer support only to be fobbed off with an automatic reply saying press the reset button on the bottom on the base station... I of course have done this and of course it makes absolutely no difference.

I have managed to work out a workaround for the problem. After the driving event you can log on to the fitbit site and manually enter an activity called driving for the period of time you were driving the car for, it will then override the stairs climbed figure and steps taken and the result now makes sense.... But its not automatic and it relies on you knowing exactly when you started your journey and when you finished it... Very dissapointing especially as I've now checked the fitbit forums and found this problem has been known for ages and fitbit only need to add a switch off function to the device to stop this.

I won't be sending it back because I'm prepared to put up with the manual updates to the figures and I do still have a ticket open with fitbit (after reading the forums though I'm not holding my breath).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jan 2012 19:58:27 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jan 2012 20:28:56 GMT
Hi Mike,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I've already discussed the support response from my team as it was incorrect for you situation.

Regarding the accumulation of data while you're driving, you raise a very valid and valuable point. Yes, this can happen in some situations - the varying levels of 'noise' for certain types of shock absorbers and road conditions, coupled with device placement when in a vehicle (wearing higher is better, setting on soft surface helps) can have an impact. We hope that once a customer knows the degree to which this may happen in their environment they can accommodate through device placement and/or through the manual entry designating a driving activity on their Activity log.

By way of example, I ride a bus every day to work and have no data discrepancy with the tracker in my pocket; I drive a herky-jerky Jeep on weekends so I place my tracker in the console while driving. A customer recently contacted us because of data accumulation while driving his tractor. We pointed him to the activity "driving tractor" and he was quite pleased - he wants to wear the device while walking out to the fields, but can't readily set it down while plowing the fields.

As I said, you raise a valid point from a usage standpoint. I will talk to our product team to see if environment scenarios may be better highlighted, and I will make sure we have a knowledgebase article on the topic.

We hope you enjoy your tracker and wish you many satisfying steps.

Director
Fitbit Support

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2012 13:05:55 GMT
JP says:
Dear Kollin,

Would it be possible to program the software to recognise a "hibernate" and "wake up" activity? For example, suppose the user were to shake the FitBit vigorously just before getting into a car, and just after getting out, could the software then ignore all data collected between these two actions?

Peter
PS I am tempted to buy a FitBit, but I do not use a Mac or PC -- does the software work with Linux?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2012 06:06:33 GMT
Thank you for the good suggestion, and I will pass it along to our product team for evaluation.

Whereas the Fitbit software to sync is not compatible with Linux, your Fitbit.com account is certainly accessible via Linux supported browser (Firefox) and if you had a family member or colleague who also had a Fitbit (on Win or Mac), you could do your initial one time pairing on their machine and synch when you are nearby their base station, and use your own base station to recharge your device through an USB-AC adapter.

Kind regards,

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2012 11:05:16 GMT
Martin Smith says:
Hi Kolin,

do you have any plans to introduce an android app as well as an iphone one?

thanks

Martin

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2012 14:42:18 GMT
Dianne says:
Hi Martin, I just checked my android app market for fitbit and lo & behold there is an app there, free to download! I'm going to order my fitbit right now. Good luck in all your endeavours

Dianne :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2012 19:18:39 GMT
Hi Martin,

Yes, we have an iPhone app available, it's currently available on the iTunes US store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fitbit-activity-calorie-tracker/id462638897?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4) and if not already, will be available shortly in the iTunes UK store.

Regarding Android, we do not release product roadmaps; that said, we are always developing to expand, enhance and enrich, and our blog is a good way to stay up to date. As another reviewer stated, there are some third party options also.

Kind regards,

Posted on 20 Mar 2012 14:14:45 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2012 18:58:21 BDT
James Parker says:
So is the android app Dianne mentioned yours or 3rd party

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 19:44:54 BDT
Calliope says:
There's an Android app available now that's official.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Jul 2012 20:08:46 BDT
George says:
Hi Dianne,
You could use MapMyFITNESS.com for syncing fitbit (www.mapmyrun.com)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›