on 4 April 2013
I adore The Lovely Eggs but i never thought I'd see myself type the statement "they've matured/grown up on this album"!! Now don't worry if you love the silly stuff (as i do) because it's all still on show too, but as a whole there are more relatively "normal" tracks on here than on their previous albums, which overall is probably a good thing, but I'm still not a 100% certain?
It opens with the excellent single "allergies" and is followed by a couple of good short shouty numbers. Track 4 is probably my favourite number "I just want someone to fall in love with" which has their best trademarks i.e cute but sad lyrics in story form, choppy guitars and a shouty chorus.
There are one or two tracks with psychedelic tinges e.g "please let me mooch round your house" & "the castle" plus "I am" sounds remarkably like The Breeders (honestly).
"We really got it", "idiot check" & "david's turn" are short cute/silly ones as is "cigarettes" which i thought would have been better with a different ending instead of the fade out?
As usual it doesn't work on some tracks e.g the title track (although i've used it for my title review) and "lee mellon's teeth" & "william tell" are fairly average.
Holly has just announced she's pregnant, so unless it's a clever Eggy joke (?) the next album will probably be full of baby songs....should be good, can't wait.
4 people found this helpful