on 12 May 2011
Goldberg was one of the first classical recordings I owned nearly 40 years ago. It's been a work I've always loved and I particularly like it on Harpsichord. However, I stumbled upon this Schiff piano recording, by accident a while ago, and found his interpretation like a breath of fresh air. It grabbed me like no other version I'd ever heard.

While technically impressive, the Gould versions leave me a little colder than this one does. His vocalisation annoys me as it would if I went to the Cinema and somebody behind talked the whole time. I'm also reminded of an old piano teacher who used to sing and hum notes and mutter timings as I learned.

While I can hear what the critics of this interpretation moan about, I just don't understand how a true classical music lover could be damning about this recording. I sometimes wonder if it's Gould fans upset at Schiff trampling all over the king's lands.

I like the musicality, the technical mastery (I don't hear any unplanned mistakes), the melodic emphasis and the feeling in this recording. It's different from the others. I adore it.
What's this?