on 24 July 2007
I enjoy all types of music from electronica to jazz to indie rock and can't stand the quality of sound that you get from in ear or on ear headphones. After considering a few different types of headphone I finally decided to go for these, and the gamble certainly paid off.
I use a Creative Zen Touch for listening to music, and the EQ settings really enabled me to bring out the best from these headphones.
They use ferrite magnets, not neodymium, and this may seem bad, yet this allows a superb overall sound, and does not mean that they produce a bass heavy sound, but instead allow every part of the range of the song to be emphasised, producing a crystal clear sound.
They come in a nice box, and are supplied with a superb gold plated jack. The swivel mechanism must be handled with care as it is slightly delicate, yet overall they are sturdy and solid. When first put on, they must be adjusted to the right size, otherwise they can be quite uncomfortable, yet this is very easy to do and just involves the sliding of the earcups. They are very soft, and shut out a large proportion of outside noise, even without active noise cancellation.
I went on a music tour of Italy with school, and we drove, so after a 25 hour journey in each direction, I have become quite accustomed to them. I originally thought that they would drain the power from my Zen quickly, yet they did not at all. The Zen lasted both journeys, even with the 40mm driver units to power 18 hours of listening in each direction, so I would assume that they are not much more power consuming than a standard pair of in ear headphones. I must, however, emphasise the fantastic battery life of the Creative Zen Touch, which is said, according to the box, to last 24 hours, so there may be some loss in battery life of other portable devices. They shut out most background noise, and despite other complaints, I have not found them uncomfortable at all.
After returning, I listened to a song with my original Zen headphones, which are good, and it was almost unbearable, as they seemed so tinny compared to the complete, all round, solid sound that is produced with the Sony MDR V500s. I am not a DJ, and so cannot report on whether they are adequate for DJing, yet from what I have heard, it is worth paying extra for the V700s for this purpose.
Also, they have enabled me to notice sounds within my songs that I swear I have never detected before!
They go very loud, especially when plugged into a high fi system or computer.
They fold up nicely, allowing easy transportation, and the cable will extend dramatically if listening at home.
The sound has never once distorted, yet at high volumes it can all kind of merge together, which worsens the clarity of the music.
My friends all immediately noticed the difference when tested, and so it shows that anyone will notice the difference.
If you, like me, enjoy your music and would like to further compliment it by buying a new pair of headphones, then I would certainly recommend these, as they give a superb sound, which will help you further enjoy your music. Take my advice, and buy a pair!
33 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?