on 2 July 2011
I've thought long and hard about buying one of these machines and almost been put off by the lack of coffee capsule pricing information readily available prior to becoming a Nespresso club member. I decided to take the plunge and am really glad that I did - this particular model was chosen as I like a long coffee and some of the smaller, cheaper Nespresso machines won't accomodate a normal size mug. All I have to do here is flip up the platform and my jumbo mug fits just fine. The variety of coffee blends is pretty good and when you purchase a new machine and register it, you can buy a mixed box (which comes complete with a Discovery Box to store two of each flavour in). The prices from Nespresso direct are reasonable for coffee of this quality, but it's never going to be as cheap as drinking instant coffee. You're looking at about 30p per cup (a little more with p&p added in), but my advice is not to bother to buy capsules off eBay as they are considerably more expensive this way. Just buy direct - the service is excellent and it's cheaper. If you can afford one of these machines, you're probably the kind of person that doesn't baulk at paying £2+ for a coffee in Costa and therefore 30p a cup in the grand scheme of things is very reasonable!

The machine itself is quite long and thin, but not overly cumbersome. The water temperature is ready in seconds. I follow their advice and warm the cup by running water through first as I like my coffee steaming hot. Whilst it has automatic dispensing for espresso and larger cups, you can set this to your own levels according to the size of cup you use. I preferred the handle on this to the bar on the Pixie to open/close the capsule chute as the handle feels more solid. With the size of cup I drink, the water reservoir goes down very quickly and at the back of the machine, its not the most accessible, but it is easy to remove once you have access. The smell of the freshly made coffee is almost worth the money in itself!

I tried to think if there was anything I would knock a star off for, but really there isn't anything. Well not yet. I'm still in the honeymoon period........
11 Comment| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?