on July 3, 2012
I came across a box of old games in the roof space, and put them straight onto a popular auction site. One game, however, I kept back from selling. There was something in the dim recesses of my memory about staying up very late and taking days off work to play it, some 13 years ago. So I fired up my XP partition and installed it, did a quick search on how to get it to work (actually a pretty straight-forward process) and am now playing one of the top three games I've ever played in my extensive 30 years+ of gaming.

When I first loaded it, the graphics put me off somewhat. After 13 years, of course they had aged. But after a few hours creeping around the ship, avoiding security cameras, bludgeoning zombies and becoming immersed in the fantastic story arc, I found myself not caring one bit.

I've been playing it in my spare time for nearly a week now, and am already beginning to worry that I'm getting close to finishing it, because it means an end to my enjoyment.

System Shock 2 is one of those rare games which is truly ageless. I believe that in 10 years time, I will be able to install it again and enjoy it just as much as I am now. Its a masterpiece, and something that I feel somewhat privileged to have experienced.

If, like me, you're utterly tired of the continual stream of banal console shooters and awful console ports to the mighty PC, please give this a go and see what gaming was like in its hey day.
22 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?