on October 17, 2009
The Soft Bulletin remains one of my favourite Flaming Lips albums, despite me struggling with it to start with, and there's enough been said and written about it already that I will concentrate on the format, rather than the content, for this review.

Having owned a UK CD copy of this album for many years I have looked in on ebay from time to time for a vinyl copy, always being discouraged by the unaffordably high price, frequently £80+ for a decent copy.

So, when The Soft Bulletin was reissued on 180gm vinyl for a reasonable price I grabbed a copy quick, and despite having hearing not so acute that I can easily spot the difference between one format or the other, was glad that I did.

For one, there is an extra track on this release not present on the UK CD version, but mostly nothing beats holding a good gate-fold sleeve with a full-sized print and artwork for me. And when the stylus finally kisses the vinyl after its slow, damped decent, well, there's magic there too!

On the technical side my copy came with nice thick edges, so there was none of the knifing that seems to be so prevalent with mail order vinyl these days. And while I'm not totally averse to coloured vinyl, neither am I a huge fan of it, so I was glad to see that this pressing is on the good old black stuff. The outer sleeve is made of stout card and the inner ones are poly-lined paper, which hopefully extends the life of the vinyl and accounts for some the (relatively) high price of this album. The music is spread over two discs, which I guess is good for quality, although it does mean you will be getting out of your chair three times instead of just the once to hear it through!
11 comment| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?