Learn more Download now Shop now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 19 November 2013
So everybody is marvelling at the Rx100 (or the II if you will it so).Big sensor and all.
BUT
The lens on this one here is a beauty. About the same zoom range like the Sony and SHARP. Whatever Range, whatever distance (it is beautiful for macro although cannot beat my OMD with an old Konica lens and macroextensions).
The Handling is really good, and with a WIFI SD Card you can work on your pictures with snapseed (or instagram if you insist) on your mobile / pad.

Ok, although I am pretty much sold on this and want to keep it until the brass shows there are a few

CONS:
- Lenscap - ..... I mean really? This is especially annoying because the camera wont turn on with the Lenscap on. I mean it is literally pounding on the lenscap in the inside...Thankfully ebay offers some help in form of an automatically opening Lenscap - SOLVED,
- Panoramas - while in Theory a good function it broad daylight there is next to no chance to see the overlaying parts on the screen. So forget about it and try doing it with software.
- Size. It could be a tiny bit smaller. It is pretty thick AND wide. While I personally find the RX100 too small - I have seen friends (with bad technique) shooting lots of pretty slanted photos, which I can be atributed to it's size as well.
- Viewfinder - I got so used to it on my OMD so I had to go back to display framing on this one - and still miss a Viewfinder. The RX100 you can at least attach one.

Other than that it has brought me lots of shooting pleasure. It just does things right and the Aperture Range from 1.8 - 2.5 is soo usable. On the RX100 you have to stick to wide when it gets darker. Not on this one.

Just try it out and see if it is for you.

Me? I am so in the Market for a Pentax MX-2. Integrated Viewfinder like on the Panasonic GX7 or at least in the LF1 and you have me.

Last word on image quality. Landscapes is not a strong suit of this one. Sure, it does it. And the lens is a beast. But with this sensor size and 12MP you wont win a prize - probably. But for your run of the mill Holiday shots, street shooting, Quick portraits, buildings, etc. it beats about 90% of the Point and Shoot Cams out there. And while talking about beating stuff: My GF was carrying my old Olympus PEN E-PL2 with a 14-42 kit lens. Needless to say that the Pentax outdid this combo even in resolution because the Oly is just not very sharp - and we should not begin about aperture. Of course outfit the Oly with the compact Pana 20mm F1.7 and things look different. Taking into account that the Pana 20mm costs roughly the amount of the whole Pentax MX-1 that is a bit of a unfair comparison though. That said, the MX-1 still comes awfully close to what you can do with that combo.
20 people found this helpful