Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now flip flip flip Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 2 July 2014
This is an excellent film in all aspects.

At its core it is the story of forgiveness.

Based on the true life story of Eric Lomax who was captured by the Japanese, forced to work on the impossible to build Burma Railway and tortured severely.

The movie is told in Flashbacks with Eric being played by Colin Firth as the older Lomaz whilst Jeremy Irvine puts in a stellar performance as the younger.

I was pleased Irvine looked like he was from the 1930s. If this were Holywoodized the actor would have looked ripped, tanned and from the 2000 and 10s.
I do think Colin Firth, although a great actor should have been made up to look less young and prettified- but this is a minor quibble.

Nicole Kidman is wonderful in her support.
She too does not look like a blonde bombshell but in this performance she demonstrates what a good actress she is- a pleasant surprise.

The torture scenes and beatings are brutal.
But then they were in real life.
The savage beatings with a pick axe handle the crunch of the broken bones and body hit hard- but then they should to convey the horror of just how the Japanese treated their prisoners who they considered to have 'No Honour' because they surrendered.
the film could have been longer - easily but it does not waste a second in its narration of the film.

I wanted to see the picture for two reasons.
Firstly I am of that generation were all our dads fought in the Second World War- the Granddads had fought in the First World War. Both my father and Uncles never talked about it. They would never give much information away about the war.

My Uncle was captured by the Japanese and forced to slave in a salt mine- it ruined his eyes. BUT I never realised that he had in fact fought in the War- it was never mentioned. Seeing this film I can understand why they never wanted to talk about it.

The other reason is that my Christian Men's Group are studying the Ten Commandments. The question of Forgiveness came up and as group we decided to watch the film which portrays forgiveness well.
At the end of the film there was silence.

It is a thoughtful film, well made and Worthy.
88 people found this helpful