3.0 out of 5 stars Up above the streets and houses, Rainbow climbing high... (well the price anyway!), 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Singles Box Set 1975-1986 (Audio CD)
This Rainbow box set contains all Rainbow's singles (including a chunk of foreign singles, not just UK) in CD form. Paying homage to the old 7" vinyl singles, each CD is housed in the relevant cover. They're a bit similar to the mini LP CD's that have been released, especially in Japan. 19 discs in all from Man On The Silver Mountain to All Night Long through to Stone Cold etc. Fairly comprehensive and a nice looking box set that displays well. Comes with a mini hardback book explaining Rainbow's history.Thats the good bits.

On the downside - there is no new music here. This is essentially a glorified compilation of which Rainbow have a multitude. No bad thing in itself, a lot of bands don't have control over their own discography leading to a best of every few years. Thats the way the industry works. But how they can justify the price on this box mystifies me. I got this on preorder at the cheapest price so far (under 60 quid) and really grudged it. The Deep Purple singles box from a few years back was a similar idea, not as many discs but i'm sure I got it for less than 25 quid new. Same with the Gillan singles box from a couple of years ago. These sort of prices are what you'd expect from a box set aimed at long term fans who have all the music already - if this set had a lot of research done, interviews, pulling stuff out the archives etc that cost time and money then I'd understand. All thats happened here is they've copied all the single sleeves, spread out a Rainbow Greatest Hits over 19 discs and put them in a box. (Remember CD is a dwindling format too, although it probably doesn't apply too much to the age group this set is aimed at.)

Don't get me wrong I like it. It looks great, but it is an expensive bauble.
If you can get it for £20-25 then great but somehow I don't think it'll ever come down that far.

All thats really left to release for the Rainbow discography is a Deluxe version of the 1st album (to complete the Dio era) and a long overdue live release of the Monsters Of Rock gig in 1980 and I'd say thats about it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Feb 2014, 13:34:17 GMT
Alan says:
This is extremely expensive for what it is and quite simply not worth the money. I would much rather the record company released the remaining studio albums that were remastered in 2009 and now 5 years later have not yet seen the light of day. Noting the reviewwers comment about the Donningtom 1980 set I would be very surprised if that were ever issued. Firstly, Thames Talent own the rights and no longer represent Ritchie Blackmore after a fallinhg out between the man in black and Bruce Payne, and secondly I have heard that the tapes may even no longer exist I do hope I'm wrong about that and would love to see an official DVD and CD release of the Donningtom set but its unlikely

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2014, 14:27:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Feb 2014, 14:28:49 GMT
You're right it is Alan.
Not sure about the DVD but the audio tapes must be somewhere for Donnington. 3 or 4 tracks have already leaked out on compilations through the years. With regards to Ritchie/Bruce Payne etc, I'm sure if someone thought there was a market for a Bonnet fronted Rainbow live set they would have done it by now. Might also be the same reason that the other studio albums haven't appeared. Is there anyone Ritchie hasn't fell out with?! haha

Posted on 23 Feb 2014, 04:48:26 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 23 Feb 2014, 04:49:18 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2014, 15:36:15 GMT
Stratpack,

Fingers crossed about the Donnington set. We live more in hope than expectation I guess. Ritchie has a habit of falling out with many people and he is certainly an unpredictable character which is why I find him and his music so fascinating. I was fortunate enough to met him on one of the Rainbow tours and must have caught him on a good day as he was friendly, sociable and quite chatty.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2014, 13:33:07 GMT
Stratpack says:
I'd love to have met Ritchie, but the version you met - not the other version that he can be! (You know what they say about meeting your heroes etc) I met Jon Lord once - a nicer man you will never meet.

For us fans he's so frustrating, especially at some of his career choices - letting Dio go, trying to break the US market, turning down Live Aid, never patching it up with Gillan (or anyone else he fell out with), refusing encores, refusing to play certain cities, never doing the oft talked about 'blues' album, turning his back on rock music, etc etc. I can feel my frustration rising as I type!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Mar 2014, 22:33:50 GMT
Alan says:
I agree with you about Jon Lord. I also met him during a Whitesnake tour many years ago. A perfect gentleman and a pleasure to speak to.

As for Ritchie, I agree some of his decisions and antics have left me frustrated over the years but generally speaking I have always enjoyed his music and seen some brilliant shows as when he is on form there is no one to touch him in the rock world.

Posted on 31 Jan 2015, 16:42:39 GMT
nodz says:
with all due respect, expecting 19 discs and the assorted costs involved in the project for around the the same costs as mugs pay for downloads is coming from someone who probably expects something for nothing.

despite what idiots believe, tangible items if keep in good condition will always hold value over the long run.

it's more fun trying to predict what will become good purchases over time and also monitoring price fluctuations. ok 70 is steep and 60 is pushing it but a sensible price for great music and art work is better than spending money on constantly updating technology for instance. i know what i prefer to pay good money for.

and you support the bands and that increases the likelihood of further projects. best music period ever and one that should be celebrated.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2015, 18:47:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Feb 2015, 21:36:08 GMT
Stratpack says:
I can assure you the amount of box sets, cd's, lp's, etc that I have bought through the years from this band and many others means I certainly don't expect anything for nothing!! Ritchie has done very well out of me right through into his pension years! I still coughed up and bought this set though.

I am a huge fan of this band and have always bought physical music, this doesn't mean to say I think everyone that downloads music is a mug. A lot of people would think buying the same music umpteen times again and again is also being a mug (including Universal I suspect!).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›