4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing 3D and great 2D, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Epson EH-TW6100W Full HD 1080p 3LCD 3D Wireless Projector (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I've owned this projector for nearly a year and a half now so have had a lot of use and testing. I'll start by saying this projector does give a stunning and incredibly bright image. The advent of 4k is going to make things even better but for now this is pretty much as clear as it gets for the price.

At the moment I have it placed about 3.5m from the wall and I get an image of about 100 inches which is fine.

I chose this one over any others after extensive research for the full HD resolution and to avoid the DLP rainbow effect. The 3D was a bonus, but not my main drive for getting this one over any others.

The 2D image is excellent. As mentioned, it can be very bright on it's highest setting (and it really does allow some daytime viewing with slightly pulled curtains) but this can be toned down to taste. There's only one caveat - the black level. It is more of a dark blue/purple - it's not too bad and a lot will depend on your room set up. I'm projecting onto a white wall with all white walls around - the furthest from perfect you could get! So if it's not too bad in that environment it should be fine if you've got surrounding walls in a darker non-reflective colour. The not-so-deep blacks is a common issue with LCD - when I bought the projector (beginning of 2013) there was no way to get better unless prepared to spend double the amount. From other tests I saw it did also beat the DLPs in terms of colour vibrancy and punch. I think with some tweaking and an optimum environment you could get an overall very good mix of deeper blacks alongside the brilliant colours.

The 3D image is excellent - and any issues with the blue/purple blacks disappears. Superman Returns really blew us away on this, as did Prometheus (and many others in a long list!). Minimal crosstalk can ocassionaly rear it's ugly head for me, but I've watched a few movies with different people and asked them if they ever see it - the universal answer is no. So It might just be me - either way it doesn't effect my enjoyment at all and I would say I see it probably 1% of the time if that.

Interestingly I used the 2D to 3D conversion just for fun and actually use it more and more. As long as you don't expect major pop-out effects, it is a pleasantly involving experience. I keep the 3D depth and general settings low, just enough to give a sense of 'being-there'.

Watching a bluray vs a dvd does make quite a bit of difference in image quality, but then that's to be expected at the size. The difference simply in general terms is this - blurays can inspire a 'wow' and you see details you've never seen before. Dvd's are just fine on the whole - you can add noise reduction in the projector settings to taste if the grain bothers you.

In terms of gaming - I've played Killzone 3 online quite a bit and I have had no problems fragging other players exactly as intended! I also play Battlefield 3, Gran Turismo and various other more recent games wihout issue. There was no lag at all that I detected. I'm sure others might disagree on a technical basis and talk about milliseconds of this and that but my real-world experience has been great - I've had no issues off or online.

Overall a top projector. A very happy user.

---------
UPDATE 19.12.14

Now that I've had the projector for a while longer with moderate use (latest was Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D, great!), I wanted to add that I continue to be very happy with this projector. Also, it's interesting to note that the blacks seem deeper now on 2D content. I think there must be a bit of a running in period - something I've noted on many projectors - so I'm even happier now! Bring on the next big gaming fix, Alien Isolation, if Santa is feeling generous.....

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]