4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, Yet Addictive Viewing, 3 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Fall [DVD] (DVD)
My partner and I decided to purchase this after reading some of the reviews, and because my partner quite likes Gillian Anderson from her X-Files days! I was fresh off watching 'Broadchurch', which I thought was decent but could have been better, so I didn't have particularly high expectations for 'The Fall'. I'm glad to say I was presently surprised at how well written and produced this series was, and I thought Jamie Dornan's acting was superb - he's clearly far more than just a pretty face! While the subject matter was deeply disturbing, and quite stomach-churningly graphic and suspenseful at times, I found I couldn't stop watching or look away. I guess that's testament again to the writers/director/and producers of The Fall that they can take such a disturbing story-line and make it utterly compelling, even for the more squeamish among us! I definitely do not like gore for gore's sake, but in The Fall, it was just enough to make it believable without battering you over the head with it - sorry, bad choice of metaphor perhaps! :) I hope they release Season 2 quickly.

My only pet peeve was Gillian's rather silly faux English accent - why they didn't just make her an American detective, I don't know.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Oct 2013, 11:51:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Oct 2013, 11:52:21 GMT
William says:
Gillian lived in England from the age of 2 to 11, most of which are formative years with accents. She moved back to England several years ago. I think her accent was spot on, and not faux in any way. She also starred in the 2011 UK TV remake of Great Expectations and her accent was once again spot on. I suggest you do research before you make such a mean comment.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2013, 12:12:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Oct 2013, 12:43:39 GMT
Spirited77 says:
Why would i do research when it is my opinion? I thought her accent was terrible. Living in England briefly doesn't mean you master the accent. Are you an elocution teacher? saying someone didn't do a good job of the accent is hardly 'mean' either.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2013, 06:32:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Oct 2013, 06:33:58 GMT
William says:
The English accent is very easy to master if you are an actor. As I also said, she grew up in England until aged 11. During her years starting out as an actress she was also involved in English theatre. She also moved back to England in recent years. Her accent is fine and admirable. Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but only if it is warranted. Gillian Anderson does a better job of playing an Englishwoman as say Nicole Kidman (who did a terrible English accent in Australia).

Posted on 5 May 2014, 16:22:44 BST
Ali H says:
Being English,born and bred,I am curious what is fake about ' Scully's ' ( she will always be Scully in this house!), accent I thought she nailed it

Posted on 12 Nov 2014, 12:54:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Nov 2014, 12:49:54 GMT
Steve B says:
I thought Anderson's accent was just right for the character- not like the usual American actor's "English" accent. But then I am not English so what do I know! I think the reason they did not make her an American detective is because American cops have no jurisdiction in Northern Ireland (yet). I'm not even sure that officers from the Met can just arrive in Northern Ireland and be put in charge of murder investigations.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2014, 13:16:55 GMT
Spirited77 says:
having watched a trailer for Series 2, I stand by my original comment!

Posted on 27 Nov 2014, 07:24:54 GMT
Jon says:
Gillian's accent is a very good representation of a "posh" southern UK accent you might hear from the professional classes in that region. That is for a good reason as she grew up in and currently mostly lives in the UK. Certainly if there is an American twang there (and I honestly did not hear it) then it does not take away from the performance. Compared with say Keanu Reeves as Jonathan Harker in Bram Stoker's Dracula - a particularly bad example which just sounded like "Ted" from Bill and Ted putting on a fake accent, it was most excellent.

Posted on 4 Dec 2014, 17:26:01 GMT
You are all only discussing your personal opinions of someone's accent in a television series. Can't some of you manage to have different opinions about that without abusing each other?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2014, 00:24:09 GMT
Londonite says:
Spirited77 - Gillians real life accent is British! She grew up here. She was on Alan Carr Chatty Man recently and you can hear her real life accent which is British, she's not putting on anything, its her real accent, so your comments are irrelevant.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2014, 20:16:11 GMT
Spirited77 says:
sorry, i dont watch trash tv so wouldnt know.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›