on 29 November 2013
I have to say that I have been left a little disappointed by this Receiver. It is not all bad news for it has some very good points but on the whole I don't think it quite lives up to expectations.

Good points - it is cheap; very small (paperback book size); very easy to set up and allows for quick addition of non-freesat channels.

Bad points - the picture quality is poor particularly on SD channels. Since this is such a big issue it has coloured my view. I should say at this point that my dish is properly installed and is functioning correctly with excellent signal quality and strength. My TV is a very recent HD model.

My main concern is that, particularly in dark scenes, there are visible trails behind every person or object when they move across scene. In other words, there is a moment when you can see a ghostly outline of where the person/object was before they moved. This can be distracting. It is noticeably worse on SD channels but is still there, to a more limited extent, on the HD ones. Since there are currently vastly more SD than HD channels this is a problem. There is also a distinct lack of detail in the darker areas of any scene and a definite graininess to the overall picture quality (both SD & HD).

In summary, it was cheap and provided the scene you are viewing is not too dark it is watchable. If you are thinking of buying one just bear in mind the limitations buying a budget model may bring.

UPDATE:- After a couple of days of use I noticed that the Receiver had re-tuned itself to what, I presume, is its default setting - London-based channels. My first thought was that it was just a glitch. I re-tuned it again to my local channels and continued watching. However, over the next couple of days it did it again twice. Since I live 400 miles from London and want to watch channels from my own area this isn't much use. This latest problem combined with the poor picture quality and motion trails convinced me to return it. I did not request a replacement. My grading would now be 1 Star.
1010 Comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?