5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning little camera, 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Canon IXUS 125 HS Digital Camera - Silver (16.1MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD (Camera)
Picked this camera up as a Christmas present for my Fiance at the last minute in John Lewis - same price as Amazon but includes a 4 GB high-speed SD Card, Canon black leather case with fabric rainbow ribbon detail and matching rainbow lanyard.

My Fiance expressed a desire to have a new digital camera recently but she is not fond of spending large sums of money on technology products and initially I had been "told" to simply get her the same camera as we had recently bought for her daughter for her birthday (Nikon L26). While the L26 is a perfectly decent little snapper which I would have had no real problems with buying for my Fiance I thought I'd hold out a little while and see what else was around. I've been using digital cameras for about 15 years now and have owned various models from Fujifilms at the very inception of digital cameras, through super compacts like the original Sony T1, and my last purchase for myself, a Canon EOS 350D... I know my way around a digital camera and consider myself something of a pro-enthusiast level user.

In browsing the varied range in John Lewis I was particularly taken with this Canon's compact dimensions, good looks and sturdy build quality (metal body). The included case, strap and memory card were a deal clincher.

Due to work commitments my family is celebrating Christmas Day today (Christmas Eve) so my Fiance has now received and started using the camera, I thought I'd share some observations;
The leather case available in the starter pack I purchased is made specifically for the camera and offers a tailored fit, with a fabric lining to prevent scratches. The lanyard is durable and instills confidence in its use to prevent drops while also keeping the camera ready-to-hand.

Aesthetically, the camera is very pleasing to the eye, with a quality build, fit and finish. The camera is compact enough to fit in a shirt pocket or a tight pair of jeans, My Fiance actually intends to carry the camera around in her handbag so the compact leather case will offer it suitable protection from scuffs and scrapes from keys and suchlike.

The LCD display has a nice clarity and is more than adequate for framing shots in the absence of an optical viewfinder. The button layout is sensible and uncomplicated, with buttons having a positive action and being a sensible size despite the compact nature of the camera.

Images are excellent quality with good colour rendition. we have not tried video recording yet but are confident of the quality, 1080p recording is available with clips limited to 30 mins each (tax laws, grrr). There is a dedicated video record button, avoiding the necessity of mode switches or menu diving.

The package includes a dedicated battery charger, avoiding the need to charge the battery in the camera via USB. charging time is quite nippy, as supplied the battery was at 50% strength and when charged at home for the first time it went to max. capacity in less than an hour.

All in all, we are thoroughly impressed with this camera and feel it offers a balanced package for a compact camera at a more than reasonable price.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Jan 2013 13:24:14 GMT
Thanks for a very informative review. I'm particularly interested in the start up time and the time it's ready to take the next picture. I have had an IXUS 800 IS for a number of years (sadly now defunct) which had very fast start up and next picture readiness times. I'm hoping this camera and the others in the Canon range will be the same. Can you advise me on this aspect please? Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2013 13:49:02 GMT
David says:
Sorry for the significant delay in responding, it's been a busy couple of weeks;

on our model power on to first picture = about 1.5 - 2 seconds.

picture to picture varies depending on the memory card, with the one supplied it seems to be about 1-2 seconds but packing my ultra high speed memory card it's near instantanous.

Posted on 8 Apr 2013 21:36:31 BDT
hampshireman says:
FYI, I think also the reason for the video recording duration been limited to 30mins is the common problem of heat build up in the sensor. Like all electronic components, heat of varying levels is generated while they are running and I think Canon limited the recording duration as a trade-off between component(sensor) reliability and convenience of recording time. I may be wrong but that's what I've heard over the years.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 02:31:13 BDT
David says:
The reason clips are limited to 29-30 mins on all stills cameras is that any greater recording capacity incurs taxation at a higher rate.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 10:28:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2013 10:36:56 BDT
hampshireman says:
Well, how daft is that? How very petty to tax video cameras in a different way to normal digital stills cameras. But as your link notes, the WTO is looking at abolishing this limit to try to restore some semblance of common sense. I also note from that link that there is a more basic technical limitation in the maximum size for the file format (4Gb) that comes into play with presumably the FAT32 file system that a lot of cameras use on their memory cards. Good info David, though my theory still stands aswell.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›