27 October 2010
I'm a new business owner who had absolutely no "back room" web or programming skills whatsoever. We'd been struggling to manage with a a slow and clunky basic iWeb site but I wanted to upgrade to something more professional, more search engine friendly, and more compatible with other social media etc without having any funds to pay a web developer to do this. Wordpress seemed to be the answer but the only trouble was I had no idea where to start. So I bought the book hoping it would solve all my problems. And it pretty much did!

I know other reviewers say this is a great book for general bloggers too, but I found as a business owner wanting to create a CMS out of wordpress this addressed those specific and unique issues from scratch. Many of these sort of books say they are for beginners but then you open them and feel pretty bamboozled. This one really is different.

It takes you through the basics, and it meant I could achieve all I'd hoped with my site. But then it went beyond that and enabled me to do things I never thought possible, or didn't know you could do in Wordpress. 6 months after buying it I'm dipping in again to try and learn some HTML and CSS basics as it even has a chapter on this for complete beginners. I think I will continue to use it for years as I build on my confidence to dabble with the site and create others.

Sure, there are some examples that are a bit out of date, and some of the plugins are different since it was written, but that really doesn't detract from the skills it gives you, and overall knowledge that you build up. Let's face it, the pace of technology and speed of updates mean you're never going to get a published book that remains completely bang up to date.

I've never written an amazon review before but this book has compelled me to do so- there's so little out there for small business owners trying to make the most of new technology and work things out for themselves. A big thank you to the author and publishers of this book for helping me develop my business and for saving me thousands of pounds in professional fees.
3 people found this helpful