on 9 August 2013
I found my copy of Crow Country in the clearance bucket of a second hand book shop. It had never occurred to me that anyone else might view rooks (particularly in flight) as beguiling creatures. I think they're utterly magical! I bought the book on the assumption that I'd learn about rooks. I did learn a little, but as some of the other reviewers have stated, the book is more about the author's personal journey as a rook-watcher (and his endless rookery counting) interspersed between chapters about history of his local Norfolk (England) landscape, other birds, other bird watchers etc. I enjoyed most of the chapters focused on rooks. I skipped a few others as they weren't interesting to me.

I think the book should have been titled Counting Crows. He spends an awful lot of pages going on about his counting of rookeries, nests, the recounting of stormy nights in the rain counting rookeries etc. That aspect of rooks holds no interest for me. Another reviewer noted they wished there had been photos and I think they were right. I think this sort of story (which is mainly the bird watching experiences of an amateur rook-ologist) would have worked better as a photo-journal interspersed with short essays of the author's experiences. I'm familiar with the Norfolk landscape so I have my own mental pictures, but for those readers who've never been, it may be a frustrating read.
What's this?