on 2 November 2013
I was unsurpised that the top reviewer of this book was a Masters student. Reading it during my first year of university study, I found Giddens' style to be dense, complicated and not very inviting to the novice reader. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the portion of the text that I was able to grasp, especially the points that he makes about Ontological Anxiety being the root of many identity crises in the modern age.

Most striking from this book is the concept that "I am me" is not a universal statement, but is historically situated. Our predecessors had a different understanding of what it means to be "me" than we do.

I'd recommend this book to experienced Sociology students and to graduates, who might enjoy it more than their junior counterparts. Indeed, I'd probably recommend it to myself in a couple of years.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details