4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 14 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Black Flip Leather Wallet Case Card Holder Cover Pouch for Nokia Lumia 520 (Electronics)
I bought this case for my Nokia Lumia 520. Considering the ridiculously low price of the item, with free postage included, I figured I had nothing to lose if it turned out to be a piece of rubbish. Turns out, it's actually pretty good.

Inner case: The phone is a perfect fit for the black plastic inner case. It snaps into it easily, and it's so discreet that on my black phone you have to look pretty closely to even notice it's there. The cut-outs are in exactly the right places to allow good access to the three buttons on the right hand side of the phone, and the charging socket and headphone socket at the top/bottom of the phone.

Outer case: The material is a leather effect plastic. It has a soft and slightly textured feel to it, and I personally think it's nice to the touch. The stitching is very neat and close all around. The stitching on the inside of the case is black, BUT, THE STITCHING ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE CASE IS WHITE, CONTRARY TO THE PHOTO SHOWN IN THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION. (There is no photo of the back of the case in the description, but you can clearly see the fastening tab which extends from the back of the case has black stitching in the hoto, wheras the tab and the whole of the back of the case is actually stitched with white thread in reality). This makes the case look more like a girls purse than a man-wallet, and initially put me right off it. However, with a black ink pen, a steady hand, and 10 minutes or so to spare, I was able to make the necessary modification - the stitching is now all black, and my manliness is fully restored. It's been in and out of my pocket for several days since, and thankfully the stitching has remained black and I don't appear to have black ink stains in my pockets or on my hands. I do recommend however that if you follow the same route, you'd be better off not putting the case in the washing machine unless you are confident in the permanency of the ink you have used. While I was at it with the pen, I also coloured in a few thin edges of the material stitched to the inner side of the outer case where it appeared a little lighter, and now the case is 100% black inside and out. It's not something I would usually consider to be my responsibility to correct the imperfections in a product I've paid for, but considering the couple of quid I spent, I figured the effort was worthwhile. If you're a girl, then you might like the white stitching, or perhaps you could find a pink felt tip pen instead. The holes in the outer case for the camera and what I assume is either a microphone, speaker or light sensor, are both in the right places and the correct size.

Storage: On the inside of the outer case, there are three slots for storing credit cards and bank notes. I've managed to squeeze four credit cards into it (two in each of the card slots) and a ten pound note, folded twice, into the note slot. If I ever get my hands on a bank note of higher denomination, I'm pretty sure it would fit too - I reckon you could get three or four bank notes in there comfortably. This has now replaced my wallet, and I'm pretty pleased to have reduced the number of items in my pocket. Admittedly, I did have to ditch a couple of cards which were in my previous wallet, due to size restrictions, which included my donor card and my RAC breakdown card. For this reason, if I'm ever in a serious car crash, apologies to anyone who needs one of my organs, and also to any surviving passengers in my car that will have to walk home as the breakdown truck won't be coming to assist. But I think it's worth the trade off in order to have less things in my pocket, as I do like to wear tight fitting trousers, and hate it when the bulges are in the wrong places.

Clasp: The clasp has a magnet inside which is just strong enough to keep the whole case neatly closed, but not so strong that it has any noticeable effect on the operation of the phone. Some reviewers of similar products have complained that the magnetic clips on these cases can reduce battery life, but I have to say there has been no adverse affect on the battery life of my phone since using this case.

Overall quality: Surprisingly well made. It's not flimsy and it doesn't look like it's going to fall apart any time soon. It has a neat and tidy finish with no wonky bits and it really is a good fit for the phone. I've seen worse cases in shops for more than five times the price.

Verdict: 4 stars. Good quality, good fit, smart looking case that doubles as a wallet. Exceptional value for money. One star knocked off for the girly white stitching.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]