39 of 52 people found the following review helpful
Best Of? I dont think so!,
This review is from: One Way Of Life - The Best Of The Levellers (Audio CD)
Ok lets set the record straight, this compilation is called the 'best of the levellers' a tag which I would dispute, and im sure the band and the vast majority of fans would have trouble agreeing with. With the use of hindsight, im sure the band would love to have named it something like 'singles '90 - '98' but they didnt, so for the benefit of anyone new to the Levellers this album is not the place to start!
1. One Way (5/10) - This is a re-recording of the classic song and although it sounds better it just seems to lake the energy of the original.
2. Beautiful Day (6/10) - Many fans hate this song for its commercial sound, i think it served a purpose, but its all some people know of the band, which is sad, a good sing along none the less
3. Fifteen Years (9/10) - Arguably their best song and, as far as im aware their best selling single, a real grower, true magic!
4. Shadow on the Sun (2/10) - should have been a b-side, at best, one of the original tracks on the LP, trundles along and never really gets anywhere
5. Hope Street (6/10) Good Single, again a grower, not my favorate though.
6. Belaruse (4/10) This single came from the self titled 3rd Lp (the bands worst)
7. Celebrate (6/10) A lovely little song about love ahhh
8. Too Real (8/10) One of their best, takes a few listens to sink in but one of their most intelligent songs, spoilt only on this disk by being the 12inch version, which seems like it will never finish!
9. Bozos (4/10) The second song unique to this Lp, bizzare use of techno type beats. Odd.
10. This Garden (6/10) Spoken lyric verses nice chorus. Different from the typic levellers track.
11. Carry Me (10/10) Excellent song, re-recording takes nothing away. Brilliant.
12. Fantasy (6/10) Same sort of song as Beautiful Day, Catchy chorus.
13. Julie (7/10) Lovely song about a poor wee lassy
14. Dog Train (5/10) Something missing with this one, cant put my finger on what though.
15. Far from home (7/10) Catchy, dancy, fiddle driven
16. Just the One (8/10) Excellent pop classic
So not the best collection of Levellers songs by any means, a better collection would be the 'Best Live: Headlights White Lines and Black Tar Rivers' and the recent studio LP 'Green Blade Rising' plus a few other songs.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Sep 2011 22:12:01 BDT
Absolutely spot on mate!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›