VINE VOICEon 11 November 2011
No two of us are alike, but somewhere in Oli Hille's book, you may find an idea that helps you solve a personal problem.

This Kindle book works, for me, as a reference guide. I would not suggest that someone, desperate for solving a huge problem, try to WORK THROUGH this book. Instead, there might be something in here among all the ideas and techniques that can work for you to solve an issue.

Here's an example: chapter 46 is about "self talk." These are the words we use to talk to ourselves in our head. Sometimes we get those words from "tapes" pre-recorded by, let's say for example, a very critical parent. Instead of walking around putting the Loser "L" on your own forehead, you can learn to reprogram your own self talk. It sounds corny, but if you do a lot of self-deprecation (I'm so dumb, I'm such a loser, I'll never, I can't.....) you will end up being what you tell yourself you are. Now, of course, this can spill over into denial (I'm the GREATEST) and then you get clocked by Muhammad Ali so you also need self-honesty. But self-talk is a sneaky way that we defeat ourselves, so this chapter can be helpful if you recognize yourself.

Another great chapter is on sleep--it's estimated that a great number of Americans are chronically sleep deprived. This may be one reason we face an epidemic of obesity, as it contributes to weight gain, and it degrades personal performance. A lot of hints on the importance of good sleep.

And finally I appreciated the chapter on little acts of kindness--doing good thing brings not only a smile to someone else, it brings a smile to yourself.

You can go among the many chapters in this book and craft improvements to your lifestyle. So what I liked best about this book is that it's not a road map but a menu. Pick from the items that appeal to you or speak to you in some way and find ways to improve your life. Great ideas in here for the gathering.
What's this?