on 29 July 2013
I liked this Asus product because of the excellent YouTube videos about this board, plus the ability to automatically overclock the system.
The build quality is really excellent, so why not 5 stars? This is because the Asus box and anti-static bag were not security sealed in any way. So how did I know if this was simply a return from somebody else? Anyway I decided to take the risk and the board has performed perfectly so far.
I like that the board has an on-board graphics facility, so I can build my system and install the OP, then purchase a proper graphics card later. Also having VGA and PS/2 connectors allowed me to temporarily connect an old monitor, keyboard and mouse.
Another reason for not giving 5 stars is that some of the much heralded features did not work straight out of the box, such as flashback to upgrade the BIOS. I had to upgrade the BIOS from the software built into the BIOS.
Be warned the board does have problems with the Noctua NH-U14S CPU fan assembly, (see my write-up on the NH-U14S).

I appreciate normally one doesn't leave delivery comments here, but for those who are interested:
I ordered this item with 1st class delivery (3 working days), but there was a problem between the courier company and Amazon. I understand that the courier picks up a large consignment from Amazon, and only when they get it back to the courier's premises do the individual items get tracked into their system.
So in my case, Amazon said it was `dispatched', and the courier company said they never received it. Clearly a feeling of piggy-in-the-middle here!
With some pressure from me, I was allowed to order the item again with express delivery, and Amazon refunded the cost of the original item plus the express delivery charge.
Well done Amazon, but perhaps the system shouldn't have allowed it to happen in the first place!

Edit:
Some programs which make use of the GPU would not work, so in the end I had to purchase a graphics card sooner than later.

Edit2:
The ASUS AI Suite 3 overclocking software keeps crashing on my system. A common problem according to the Internet. So I haven't been able to try any overclocking yet.
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?