VINE VOICEon 19 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I find it strange that a product sold from Western Digital on Amazon UK did not arrive with either a UK plug, or with a UK plug adaptor. Luckily, we did have a spare adaptor in the house, and this did not overly delay our use of the product. I do, however, think that it is a poor show that it was not supplied with a UK plug adaptor, as standard, via a UK version of Amazon. This is doubly true when you consider the fact that it is not mentioned anywhere in the literature on the site.

Upon initial plug in, no LED lights appear on the machine. At first thought, I wondered if some harm had occurred to it on route to us, but thankfully this was not the case. In actual fact, the LED lights only appear when the usb is plugged into the computer as well.

The drive seems to take an unusually long time to mount, particularly in comparison to other drives we have used. This isn't too distressing, but it is definitely worth noting if speed is of great importance to you.

Back-up software is installed upon the hard drive, and you can opt to allow auto-backup to occur on a schedule, or on a use by use basis. A full back up is definitely possible, with 4TB, but this will slow the speed at which it can back-up.

The design of the My Book is fair. The case feels quite thin and cheaply made, but the aesthetics of the hard drive are reasonable. It is black and made to stand upright. It is about the size of a thick book, and space use is kept to a minimum.

Overall, I haven't felt too excited by this hard drive, although I cannot deny that it is a spacious piece of equipment. I think that the initial annoyance of the device arriving without any UK adaptor probably marred my view of the product somewhat, or at least enough for it to drop a star. In reality I would probably score the My Book Hard Drive as a 3.5 out of 5, but I have rounded that up.
What's this?