on 13 October 2008
It's very difficult not to feel that we already know everything there is to know about Mrs Beckham. I think I see her image somehow, somewhere every single day. I was intrigued then to discover a book which on the outside cover promises to reassess her life and career. It does not disappoint. This is a superbly balanced account of a famous life which performs the subtle service of making you like the subject without in any way resorting to sensationalism or heavy-handed bias.

The book is divided into two parts - the first, Victoria Adams, dealing with her family's surprisingly working class roots and guiding us through her early life up to the Spice Girls. I was intrigued to discover that she was much more talented as a singer and dancer than I had imagined. She also had a natural flair for image and came top of special image classes at her stage school. I also had no idea she was chosen for the Spice Girls because of her appeal to the `older man'.

The second part, Victoria Beckham, chronicles her relationship with David Beckham and how she has developed their partnership as a brand. Even her supposed failure as a solo artist was, in fact, accompanied by million pound fashion contracts which were clearly part of a long term plan. The book feels very up to date even managing to squeeze in her new lines for New York fashion week.

I have read two books by Sean Smith, one on Kylie and one on Britney, and he seems to have a talent for portraying modern day `heroines'. There's so much detail and I particularly like the Life and Times section which details all the highlights of Victoria's life in twelve packed pages. A word also about the pictures which are beautifully laid out over 24 pages and contained many I had not seen before. They deftly showed the girl changing to a woman and should please all Victoria fans.

Having read this book I find myself outraged at the stupid and unfair way Victoria Beckham is often portrayed in the media. I like her much more than I did before.
11 Comment| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details