on 1 January 2010
I have devoured so many Scandinavian police procedurals that I'm running out of titles & authors as well as bookshelves. I read 'Blackwater' a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, but didn't rave about it, which is why I didn't rush to get 'Under the Snow' - and what a mistake that was! I put it on my 2009 Christmas list and just finished it today. It's a relatively short book but it took me longer to read than many weightier books because it is utterly engrossing. The style is tight and eloquent, with some great turns of phrase, and you have to watch out not to miss the subtle wit. Parts are genuinely very funny, but you have to be paying attention. The dialogue is realistic and interesting, although I did find it quite hard to keep track of who was who among the characters. It is very well plotted and keeps you guessing to the last page, but perhaps the best thing is the sense of atmosphere. The story unfolds amid the wild landscapes of the Sami people in Lapland, and the setting really burns into the reader's consciousness. Once I had finished this book, I missed reading it. I will definitely explore more Ekman books and can only express my surprise that 'Blackwater' seems to be the most widely known.
11 Comment| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.