VINE VOICEon 19 September 2011
This is a review of the Extended Version of Waterworld only.

I've always loved Waterworld despite the criticism upon it's release and I think it thoroughly deserves the success it ultimately garnered. I have been waiting to see the extended version of the film ever since I saw a small bit of it on TV many years ago. However now it is available on DVD, albeit Region 1, I must say I'm slightly disappointed. I'm usually a fan of extended versions and Director's cuts of films but this almost feels like a bit of a hack job! First of all the extended version is rather bizarrely edited for violence, language and nudity which is something that really infuriates me, and secondly some of the extended scenes feel unfinished and recycled. A good example of this is when the Mariner disarms Helen by trapping her under his sail and then climbs to the top of his mast, we can clearly see Enola's crayon drawings at the top of the mast only seconds after she has just discovered the box of crayons! Also there are several repeat shots of the Smokers' ship The Deez emerging from the fog throughout the extended film which I feel ruins the surprise value this shot had in the theatrical version where it was only used at the end of the film finally revealing where the Smokers' had been based. Another extended shot used during the atoll attack sequence shows a jetski flying through the air on wires - clearly an unfinished shot and obviously the reason it was cut out in the first place!

Don't get me wrong some of the new scenes are interesting, there is an atoll scene where a meeting to decide the fate of the Mariner takes place, there is a scene that shows just exactly how the Mariner was able to find the Deez to rescue Enola, and some of the extended scenes on Dryland at the end of the film are quite good but there's nothing really you couldn't live without! For me it doesn't feel as polished as the theatrical version it's more like a rough cut!

So for those wanting to know whether to buy the extended version or not I'd say not to bother, stick with the original theatrical version, until Universal decide to do a complete restoration job on the film.
What's this?