on 17 January 2004
I was looking through my TV guide for something to watch and this film automatically stood out to me. When i told my mum I was going to watch it she recommended it to me, which really surprised me because my mum is not usually a horror movie fan. I am so glad that I did notice this film because it is one of the best films ive seen recently, which considering the films i have watched recently, (One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, LA Confidential, The Shining and other reknown films) is a really amazing feat. Well it may not be as good as One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, but what is? I dont think that it is fair to compare carrie to anything outside of the horror genre so I will say it is up there in the top three horror films I have seen. To sum up that paragraph , VERY VERY VERY GOOD!!!
With regards to the film itself, I was unsure how to feel towards the main character, but ultimately I felt a great deal of sympathy for her. Sissy Spacek's portrayl of the naive and bullied Carrie is truely amazing, and considering she got an oscar nomination for it it proves how remarkable it was, as horror films tend not to be acknowledge by the Academy. This film left me with a great deal to think about and left me feeling tremendously sorry for Carrie and her eventual victims.
The final scenes in this film however are what set it apart from other films. Usually horror films tend to have violence for the majority of the way through, but in this film the beginning is very quiet in terms of violence/horror and until the last 20 or so minuites could be from a film in the drama genre. The contrast is stark and disturbing. The effects are remarkable and considering the age of the film are still very powerful images. The film is worth buying for the ending alone, it is that damned good.
To sum up this entire blabbering on by me, if you like horror films are psycological films, like me, BY THIS FILM NOW.
20 people found this helpful