VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 March 2014
This review is for the Toshiba C55-A-1HN (with 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD), whatever the tag line says above.

My Acer Aspire was on its last legs and I knew it wouldn't be long before I needed a replacement laptop. The day the monitor went was that time. But what to replace it with? It's a difficult choice, what with so many models available in anyone's price bracket, but I plumped for this one. My old laptop was about six years old and wasn't particularly heavy, but compared to that this weighs practicly nothing, coming in at a smidgeon more than two bags of sugar.

With no disc to install, it didn't take long to start up and get going, though I have to say I wasn't too keen on Windows 8.1. As this is a review on the laptop and not the operating system, and as all laptops and PCs probably come with Windows 8.1 anyway, I won't dwell on that operating system.

I like the shape and design of this (there is a white option too) and your hands float over the keybord making everything easy to do. The touch pad is responsive (sometimes too much) and the left and right mouse buttons have a pleasing click to them whist the keys have just the right amount of resistance to let you know they've made the correct contact with whatever is underneath. What is noticeable is that as a result of there being a numeric keypad, the 'Enter' and 'Space Bar' keys are smaller than what I've been used to but I can live with that.

With three USB ports (one is 3.0), an HDMI port, Ethernet and VGA sockets, and a headphone and microphone socket, there's a connection for everyone. Not only that, I find it blistering fast with lots of memory (8GB) and a gargantuan hard drive capacity (1TB). Toshiba claim a battery life of about four hours but it's more than that. Compared to my first laptop, I now have three times the power, speed and capacity for half the price. And it's quieter. And the 'CAPS LOCK' key has a green light to let me know if I've pressed it by mistake. (The NUM LOCK key also has a light.)

There are a couple of things I don't like about this laptop. The sound is disappointing; it's very 'tinny' and no matter what I do, nothing changes that. The sound might be clear but whatever the blurb says, there's no bass on it. The second annoying aspect is the button for opening the CD drawer. It's positioned on the tray itself on the bottom part and is a bit too small and awkward to use for my liking. (I'm not too keen on the side inlet for the mains lead either; it should be at the back.)

As most laptops around this price point are very similar in specifications, it's all about aesthetics. (I got mine for £379.99, which I consider something of a bargain.) If you're in the market for a new laptop, whilst I'm not suggesting you rush out and get this (and many people are loyal to a particular brand), it's certainly one to consider. More memory and a smaller hard drive, or vice versa? Faster processor instead of capacity? A slightly smaller screen (and lighter too) but no numeric pad? Decent sound at the expense of another feature? Only you can decide.
33 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?