on 1 February 2011
This book is what it says it is- a memoir of a female heart surgeon. It is much better than I thought it would be; at first I was a bit apprehensive as to what a book written by a surgeon would be like! My preconceptions were wrong and the book turned out to be very amazing and inspirational.

I am actually a bit 'biased' you might say as I am a female medical student, interested in surgery, and so Dr Magliato is an enormous role model to me and someone to look up to. There are not enough female role-models in surgery to inspire young women to pursue this branch which is a shame.

Anyway, back to the book: I found it to be well written and easy to follow. There are technical details included to satisfy med students/health professionals etc, but Dr Magliato includes explanations for everything so I have no doubt that no matter what your background is in, there should be no issues in terms of understanding what's going on! Furthermore, I thought the structure of the book was good, it didn't stick to a strictly chronological format; the author takes you to her past as well as to specific medical cases she dealt with. I also liked the way that each chapter is quite unique- one may be an action-packed, adrenaline-inducing account of an emergency heart surgery, whilst another focuses on cardiovascular disease issues that women are faced with.

I was actually unaware that cardiovascular disease affects more women than men; this is definitely something that medical schools are not highlighting enough, especially the fact that women may present with different symptoms of heart disease. I hope this book will be widely read, and I recommend it to everyone- not just people of a medical background and not just women.

[Extra details: I have the hardback copy, it is lovely- good quality. The size is just right, it doesn't take long to read, don't imagine it's a huge book.]
What's this?