on 13 September 2012
I read this book as part of my uni studies and would probably not have considered it otherwise.
But in reading it I instantly found that I identified with his attack on the consequences of free-market globalisation.

This is thought provoking and well written book that seeks to challenge the prescribed orthodox hedgomonic neo-liberal assumptions of modern capitalism. It gives a sociological insight into how the growing inequality within the world has marginalised and stigmatised those at bottom. His critique is not that capitalism is all bad- but that it has become the meta-purpose for our existence.
His writing has enabled me to exand my socioloogical perpective and urged me to seek to challenge the prescribed norms that are dictated to us by those who occupy power. It gives a sort of C Wright Mills slant that is more contemporary and easier to read. There may be better books of the same nature but I gave it 5 stars because of the impact that has had on me. It has greatly enhanced my ability to articulate my concerns about the society we live in.

If you are a rampant capitalist with a belief that we exist within in a meritocracy this book may be a difficult read. But the purpose of this book is to challenge those beliefs. I would argue that this theme has become even more salient with the current economic global meltdown. Thereby disproving the flawed nation that our return to neo-classical economics has been beneficial in a utilitarian sense.
6 people found this helpful