on 11 November 2004
Okay, so I'm 34 yet still into TRANSFORMERS, GI JOE, MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE and anything made by Gerry Anderson - You have a problem with that? Good, because I honestly don't see a time when I won't be a fan of all these gems - If people seem to think I should give up all the things I love just because I've reached a certain age then that's their problem, not mine (but I digress).
Now known as "Generation 1" because of all the subsequent incarnations, to me this will always just be "The Transformers". I vividly recall the day when I leapt for a blank video cassette to start recording the first 4-minute snippet of the first episode when it was screened by breakfast television's summer holiday host ROLAND RAT (remember him?). I was mesmerized from the start - Here were my favourite toys brought to life in thrilling adventures that were told in a superb way. Years later the series seems as fresh and thrilling as ever, even though the original toy line is long gone - Sort of puts paid to the "toy commercial" jibe so many people level at series like this, doesn't it? After all, if that were the case the series wouldn't be held in such high esteem by adults such as myself (believe me, there are LOTS of us about!) so long after it ended.
This set features 16 digitally remastered episodes; the entire first season. Over the course of the unforgettable opening three-parter we come to know and love the core of characters that defined a generation, and subsequent instalments introduce the sublime SKYFIRE, ravenous INSECTICONS and the gargantuan gestalt DEVASTATOR. If you haven't a clue what I'm talking about then you need to buy this set. Back in the 80's we found ourselves caring for these two-dimensional robots and there's no reason the same won't happen to you. You may find the animation style 'crude' in comparison with today's cartoons (I don't), but the pace, excitement & quality of storytelling leaves the vapid modern counterpart lurking in shame amongst the shadows. Am I over-reacting? Well, I admit that my passion has flourished over 20 years and that I find it equally bizarre that people get so worked over the tedium that is football - Each to their own and for fans of quality kids television, this is a must.
I must agree with another reviewer and state that from a packaging point of view, the region 2 set isn't as attractive as the chrome box/animation cel freebie region 1 set from the US. Where this release excels is that the advert "bumpers" (those little clips that say "we'll be right back") are included in the American release. They're historically interesting but not after you've seen them 6 times per episode!! The UK release removes these breaks entirely and the episodes are more streamlined as a result. Also, the R1 set of the first half of season 2 spreads a lot of 2-part stories over separate discs - The R2 release places them (quite rightly) on the same one to avoid the nuisance of a disc change mid story.
At such a good price, this is unmissable.
0Comment| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details