on 24 February 2013
As graphics evolved, people wanted more of the same thing with better graphics. What happened instead was, that we go a complete new thing. The thing though is, that there is nothing quite as fun and responsive as a classic old school side scrolling game. Sure, I enjoy titles like Metal Gear Solid, Onimusha, Red Dead Redemption, Assasins Creed, Batman Arkham series... they are really good indeed. But my opinion is that they do not compare to side scrollers. Stealth games are fun and all... BUT! They feel to me more than watching movies than actually playing a game.

In Castlevania, you double jump, dash, stick on the ceiling, use 3 different type of weapons simultaneously within seconds. Simply jumping from platform to platform is pure fun and a nice challenge. Doing the same thing in a 3d environment is challenging indeed but for different reasons. Jumping from platform to platform in a 3d environment is horrible.

Compare one of our time's best games to one of the 90's best games. Zelda Ocarina of Time VS Megaman X.

ZoT: One of the most annoying things is trying to cross the bridge to get to the rupee.

Megaman X: Dashing/ Double Jumping/ Hovering / sticking on walls/ sliding / Charging your weapon and shooting right before changing your weapon and proceed to shoot like a maniac while avoiding enemy fire.

Dont want to talk trash about Zelda and argue about it...its a magnificent game...but its different, its all I am saying. What I want to say is I wish there were more games like Castlevania today...in the latest generation consoles like Xbox and PS3.

Think about today's best sidescrolling games. Mario...Little Big Planet...and...thats it. A chubby plumber and sackpeople (dont wanna trash talk them...both are awesome games).

BUT!

Where is my Contra? Where is my Megaman X? Where is my Pandemonium? Please...game developers should really take notice and do something about it. This world needs to start moving forward again instead of backwards.

They made a Golden Axe game...that supports no multiplayer!
They make racing games...that have no split screen!
Everything is a movie!

DS' Castlevania games for me are a pure 10/10. An amazing gaming experience. It gave me the rush videogames haven t given me for the past few years. Both this and Portrait of a Ruin are excellent games and please for the love of God..make more of them.

If anyone is looking for something similar I strongly suggest "Cave Story" which can be found legally for free on the internet. It has horrible horrible graphics but its tons of fun.
What's this?