on 8 March 2014
Wolf on Wall Street was all set to be Scorsese's latest masterpiece. From what you could garner from the promotional material. It had a star cast. A strong story. And was all set to be in for a good chance of winning an Oscar. A film with a superlative length heightens the expectations of the audience. 3 hours. Ok...
So, I watched it. There was a lot I liked about it. The conventional narrative of a self-made man who loses it all. Rags to riches to rags again. It is no wonder Jordan Belfour's story was picked by Scorsese. But to me, it didn't feel particularly new. We've seen corporate psychopathy in film form, we have seen films about bankers, and drugs. Even the excellent performances from Leonardo di Caprio and Jonah Hill couldn't revive a film formula which to all intents and purposes can scarcely fill two hours.
My biggest complaint with the film is: We didn't see huge amounts of Jordan Belfour being that ruthless in a work setting. I would have liked more of that. When he gave the long speech after about 2 hours when you think he is considering giving up, I actually wish the film had stopped there.
So all in all, I enjoyed it less than I thought I would, but overall enough to feel significantly satisfied that the film had at least set out to do at least some of what it had achieved.
What's this?