on 26 November 2012
I thought it might be more authentic if I dictated my review rather than typing it. What you are getting is my dictated view, unedited, street from the DragonDictate software.

I am using DragonDictate for the PC and the Mac; the PC at work and the Mac at home. Undoubtedly, the PC version is slightly ahead of the MAC version but the difference is now very, very small. There is no doubt that version 2.5 was frustratingly awful to use. It was made all the worse by the fact that the PC versions 11 and 12 were really very good. Mac Version 3.0 however is an enormous step up and it really has now very useful indeed. I use it mainly for dictating 10 - 15 page reports using a lot of papers and notes scattered all over my desk. The fact that I can sit here now with my arms folded and dictate a pretty accurate piece of prose is, I think, quite impressive.

Sure, it is not completely faultless but if you follow the relatively simple instructions that come with version 3, are absolutely rigorous about correcting spelling and dictation errors and load up your own personal dictionary and emails to enable the software to interpret your writing style and the words peculiar to your particular area of interest it is, in my opinion, a very usable piece of software.

Other reviewers have commented on how the cursor can jump about unpredictably when using Word. In my experience, this is a fault, often introduced by me in the formatting of the particular document that I am working on. I would caution users to be very careful when changing Word document formatting while using DragonDictate. I too have experienced the unpredictable and strange behaviour that appears to occur when using DragonDictate and Word together but the problem can nearly always be resolved by checking and if necessary reversing formatting changes.

I agree that the Nuance website is a shambles, the product support leaves a lot to be desired and the lack of upgrades available to previous purchasers of the product does not endear the company to its users.

However, the dramatic improvement in the quality and usability of the software between version 2.5 and version 3 deserves credit. I would probably have given this review five stars if it were not for the points made in the previous paragraph.

Another tip, is to get the best microphone that you can afford. I started with a cheap and cheerful generic headset and microphone which worked but I spoiled myself by buying a Plantronics Savi 440 which is eye wateringly expensive but works very well indeed and is very comfortable to wear.

Looking over what I have dictated I can find two errors: the first is the word "street" instead of "straight" in my second sentence and the second is the lack of consistency when using the word "Mac". Apart from that, it appears to be 100% accurate. I have no hesitation in recommending version 3.
11 Comment| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.