on 7 January 2012
Last year I bought my wife an iPad. She loves it. Her enthusiasm rubbed off and I decided I should get a tablet of my own. But which? Wait for the iPad 3? What about the new Asus Transformer? Should I jump before the new Windows 8 tablets come out? I realised that giving the decision the full geek was going to take me months of poring over comparative reviews (something, tragically, I look forward to). In the meantime I was missing out. My work means that being able to carry around large PDFs on something with a screen bigger than a phone would be a real plus. I have also enjoyed reading books, watching movies and reading comics on my wife's iPad. Browsing the web and answering email on the loo has also proven to be a surprisingly a life-enriching experience.

Amazon had these things on a lightning deal at £150. That took it within impulse purchase range. I was impelled.

This is beautifully built and, for the most part, slick in operation. It will occasionally drop wifi connection for a few moments and I have had it freeze during video playback and had an average of one force closure a week when running apps. The single core chip can become a bit overwhelmed at times but, for the price, it's a little marvel. I would love an upgrade to Honeycomb, but, it seems, Gingerbread is all Lenovo has any intention of ever allowing this device to run. These are minor frustrations. It does what I want it to do simply and effectively for less than half the price of an iPad. Genius.
0Comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?