on 2 November 2013
I'm not really sure how I feel about this book. I liked the characters, and it was an interesting concept, but it just seemed to meander about. It was written from an omniscient point of view and all the head-hopping just had me confused and kept me disconnected from the story. It seemed to raise a lot of questions and never really answer them. It got me thinking, and I don't think it is a book I will ever forget, so from that aspect I guess it did it's job and could be called a success, but I don't think that I actually enjoyed the journey.

The part of me that was disconnected from the story and found it hard going wants to give 2 stars, but another part of me respects what the story achieved in terms of the way it made me think and feel and wants to give 4 stars. For that reason, I'm opting for the middle ground.

I give The Returned 3 stars out of 5.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

My Rating System:
1 star: I will never post a 1 star review because this means it was so bad I couldn't finish it, and I don't won't publicly rate a book I haven't read all the way through.
2 stars: I may have liked the story but it was badly written or it may have been a boring story well written. Something about it kept me reading but I didn't enjoy it.
3 stars: A good, enjoyable read. If the description appeals to you I'd recommend reading it.
4 stars: A really good book that I thoroughly enjoyed and may even read again. I will want to read other books by the same author. Highly recommend.
5 stars: Reserved for books that blew me away and whose characters I can't get out of my head. These are books that I will definitely read again, possibly several times. If I read an e-book version I may even have to go buy a hard copy for my shelves. Why are you still here? Go read this book right now.
What's this?