on 30 November 2010
I must admit that despite having purchased well over 50 books from Amazon, this is my first review. I am compelled to write because I am really disappointed with the book. I enjoy learning langauges and have used many Teach Yourself coursebooks. I have always found them accesible, relevant and progress at a good pace with a great mix of useful language, cultural insight and practice material. My confidence in TY books has been knocked. This is a terribly structured, unenjoyable coursebook. I found myself really struggling to face page after page of very dry, badly organised grammar to get to any language of use. I will be using Swahili in a mixed business and travel capacity and have found much more in the Rough Guides tiny phrasebook.
I understand the importance of grammar and actually usually enjoy working through the nuts and bolts of languages but this book is something else! Unless you are really, really commited to learning Swahili (like I am trying to be, despite this purchase) I would steer clear. Unit 4 tonight has seen me slogging through endless noun classes, verb prefixes and I have nothing really of use to say to my Tanzanian colleague on the phone tomorrow... unless I want to ask him if he knows "how to sew my red patterned dress". One final note is that any book that introduces goodbye (to more than one person) in Unit 4 is not on the same page as a practical language learner. Oh yeah, and this is the "fully revised" 2010 version I purchased. Terrible.
33 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?