on 12 April 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a novice when it comes to growing vegetables, having grown potatoes for four years and branching out to include other stuff only in 2009 when I had a small raised vegetable patch built in my garden.

I have bought several books for guidance, all of which have been dipped into periodically, but none have become a bible. I do not think `New Urban Farmer' will become a bible either, or a daily reference tool, but it is a book that I would recommend to others - because it is full of anecdotes about the author's own experience on an allotment, which is rather encouraging.

It is difficult to find many people in my area that grow vegetables and have either the time or the inclination to share tips. Celia Brooks Brown's book is a well-illustrated journal, split into the seasons and with reference given to each month, with tips about what to plant/harvest and a few recipes to inspire you to cook what you reap. I do not have an allotment but I feel as though I have picked up some of the tips that might have been shared with me if I did.

It isn't a book that will teach you everything about how to grow your own, but it is certainly one to consider purchasing for tips, or just for the encouraging knowledge that someone else is having a go themselves and sharing some of what they have learnt in the process with you, which might prevent you making the same mistakes yourself.
What's this?