on 17 July 2009
I was recently looking through some old photographs and came across a picture from around 95-96 of a teenage me wearing a Soundgarden T.shirt. It got me thinking, I remember them being my favourite band for a while but I moved into my own place at a young age and lost touch with a lot of my old C.D.s. Having pooled my pocket money with my brother to jointly purchase most of our music in the first place I left the vast majority of my collection at my parents, being half my bro's and not wanting to overcrowd my pokey flat. Not having much money, I never got around to replacing them, however, I have recently purchased a high capacity mp3 player and have been digging out some of my old albums, some not being as good as I remember and the odd one being better. The photograph I mentioned earlier prompted me to check out Soundgarden again and boy am I glad I did. Superunknown is an incredible album sounding as fresh today as it did back in 1994. I am not one to gush about music or film if I like something then I will say without going overboard but this record is simply phenomenal from the opening thrilling rock powerhouse of 'Let me drown' to the mean and moody 'born on the 4th of July'. If I was to name every stand out track then I would have to name all 16, so just check out the tracklisting.
Chris Cornells vocals have never sounded better, his work with Audioslave was pretty impressive but his voice had taken a slightly too gravelly direction that the Superunknown era Cornell didn't have in such abundance. Even Robert Plant in his heyday would have been jealous of some of his super human singing.
I am a massive Black Sabbath fan (Ozzy and Dio era only)who Soundgarden were frequently compared to, but in my humble opinion, much as I adore Sabbath's 70's and early 80's albums I really don't think they produced anything as good as Superunknown and that is a huge compliment coming from me. I personally feel that this album signals the beginning of the end of great albums I think their was a few towards the end of the decade but a few years later and the dawn of the digital age, bands were less concerned with producing fantastic records but more bothered with four great singles and six fillers to complete the record.
Sorry for waffling on so much but to finish my debut review! I just want to say that I feel it is criminal that this album isn't spoke in the same breath as Led Zep's 4 or Radioheads OK computer, not comparing the sound to those albums of course, but they are two examples of records that normally make top 100 greatest album lists, which as bold a statement as this is. Superunknown should hold a regular high place in these lists. You could ask anyone in the street if they know who Led Zeppelin or Nirvana are and 99 per cent would say "of course I do" but mention Soundgarden and you't be lucky to get more than five in one hundred and they would probably only know Black hole sun, this to me is sad.
Last I heard, Chris Cornell was working with Timbaland! I doubt that anyone who gets into him through this association will be interested in the sort of music that Soundgarden play, as his Timbaland produced stuff probably is R&B tinged.
To sum it up, if you haven't got this album and you like searing rock vocals, dark Sabbath esque riffs and superb lyrics then buy this album it is stunning.
0Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?