Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Learn more

8 September 2012
This is an absorbing tale with a wonderful twist in the tail, a sad story that is all too believable, unfortunately. It is a weaving of the threads of the POV of the family members, but mostly the mother, Ann, as she reaches breaking point. She bears the scars from her childhood abuse. She knows how it has twisted her life and deplores the way it has affected her family.

It is beautifully written but I am only scoring it 4*, not 5*, because it felt, to me, that I should have been given more chance to get to know her husband, Mark, and her daughters, Becky and Carla. The rot in their relationships developed over a long time but I felt I was being rushed towards the tragic conclusion.

Don't get me wrong, by the end of the book I realised I had been held spellbound, but I felt slightly cheated of time with the family, learning about how their relationships had deteriorated. I'm not talking about a huge increase in length - another 15%-20% would work for me.

That said, I would still recommend it.
2 people found this helpful