VINE VOICEon October 8, 2012
I bought this and a DLAN 500 AVTRIPLE+ STARTERKIT for our new home, so that I could push media to every room, without running cables everywhere. Wireless wasn't really an option, as I wanted to stream Blu-Ray rips in .mkv format ( at least 20Gb in size ), so this seemed to be an ideal solution.

The kit itself was very simple to install and I would imagine for 'light' network usage it would be fine, however I ran into a few issues, which I haven't been able to resolve despite Devolo's tech support ( very quick to reply to queries, which is always a bonus these days ). The issues I ran into are:

When I try to play Blu-Ray rips, I get a lot of buffering, which means the film is unwatchable. Devolo say the data throughput rates ( shown on thier Cockpit software ) are sufficient for smooth playback, but the problem remains, so I can only assume the adapters can't handle .mkv or very large files efficiently ?

During the fault finding with Devolo, they mentioned that most double sockets act like an extension lead ( something that they don't recommend you plug the adapters in to ) and as most new build houses have double sockets it might cause issues.

The other problem I have is that being a Mac user, there is no way to update the firmware of the adapters, as that's only available to Windows users, at this time. Luckily I was able to borrow a netbook, to do the updates, but if you can't it's something worth noting. Devolo are working on an application for Mac, but have no timeframe for when it will be available.
22 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?